Thursday, June 12, 2008

Re: Raiser's Edge

My development office runs RE on Windows, of course, but I do have one
front office employee on a fairly new Intel iMac who needs RE client
access only occasionally, to look up constituent info and the like. So I
set her up with Parallels and Windows XP, and it seems to work fine. Not
blazingingly fast, but adequate for her basic needs. I think it helps that
a) the Mac is relatively new and thus has a speedier CPU, and b) we just
upgraded our RE server as well, to a new Dell PowerEdge.

I still would never run RE on Macs in the Development office proper - too
many layers of things to go wrong. And you're right, the server must
always be Windows. I've using inResonance's (FM Pro-based) Generations
product in the past, and if you want to stay all Macs I think that's a
good way to go.

-Doug

--
Doug Alexander