Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Re: Wireless solutions

David -

We have an old (4+years) Bluesocket gateway. It was originally their
WG-2100 model which is now called the BSC-2100 (with much more powerful
hardware).

Our whole wireless system was put in before I arrived on the scene so I had
nothing to do with the decision-making process. I've been pretty happy with
the product though -- Active Directory integrated authentication for our
domain member laptops for faculty (and loaners for students in the library)
and MAC-address restricted access for student-owned laptops. Our system was
put in before Bluesocket was making their own access points, we've got a
combination of Proxim, Orinoco, and HP wireless access points using 802.11a,
b, and g in various locations on campus.

--
Christopher Butler
Academic Technology Director