Thursday, January 10, 2008

Re: Outsourcing email for free?

Hi Patt,

I've been involved in a number of on- and off-line discussions about this
topic, including at least one you can probably find in the ISED-L
archives. While a switch to Gmail, MSLive, etc. is certainly tempting for
a number of reasons, the main concern I've heard expressed again and again
is that many schools are reluctant to give up the ability to control
(quotas, groups, access time, send/receive privs, etc.) and archive
e-mail.

As far as Packer is concerned, we are, overall, content with FirstClass,
so we won't be going down that path anytime soon, but we will probably
make some of the other Google Apps available here in the near future.

Hope this helps.

Best,
Bill

Bill Knauer