Monday, January 14, 2008

Re: Outsourcing email for free?

IMAP would do just that for you, a recently added feature to Gmail.


Eric Wallis
Network Administrator
Notre Dame Prep School
443-921-2777

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith E Gatling [mailto:kgatling@MPH.NET]=20
Sent: Sunday, January 13, 2008 8:43 AM
To: ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Outsourcing email for free?

On Jan 12, 2008 11:49 PM, Tom Phelan <tphelan@peddie.org> wrote:

> Sorry, I wasn't clear enough. For internal groups I'm just going to
use a
> listserv which we already host. What I was referring to is that, for
> example, the Technology Department maintains a common email address
book
> with contact information for vendors, etc. This allows any member of
the
> department to have the most up to date contact info which is
especially
> important when someone is out sick, on vacation, etc.


Hmm...couldn't you just create a webpage with that information? You
could
probably create on using Google Groups that only members of your group
could
access or edit.


> Yes you can, [handle multiple sigs] if you use Firefox! I use an
add-on
> called "Signature"
> (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/578) which allows me
to
> insert custom sigs with a simple right-click and then choose the sig.
>

Wow! Thanks, that was great. And I can probably also use it to generate
"stationery" too. It just means that I have to switch over to using
Firefox
all the time now, and copy my "Signature" settings across the couple of
computers I use regularly. Would I that these settings were storable
online
somewhere (like as part of my Gmail account).

Cool. Now I just have to find a way to download *everything* from my
Gmail
account to my hard drive so I can always have offline access to whatever
I've done in the past 24 hours.


--=20
keg

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* *
Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach students.
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
* *

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.