Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Re: Mix of Mac and PC platforms?

We started our 1:1 laptop this year. We had many students who already
owned laptops, so we were not going to have them purchase another
laptop. It seems that most kids don't have problems, but teachers and
some kids to have issues. The issue involves mostly around software not
being on the same version, i.e. MS Office. It leads to "If you have
Excel 2007 do this, if 2003 do that and if you have ......"

If you are a small school like us (350 students), you need to have a
tech support staff which is VERY comfortable/knowledgeable of both Macs
and PCs. It is manageable, but there are days when you wish "If only we
only one model. sigh"

David Held
Director of Technology
Poughkeepsie Day School