Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

I am going to suggest Windows PCs/Servers, even though I'm a mac user at ho=
me. You're running a high school and building it from the ground up so thi=
s is your shot to get it right from the start. Macs are consumer PCs and a=
re not geared for the enterprise market at this point. You should strive t=
o implement an enterprise class instrastructure that will be the backbone o=
f your core business. Also, macs will always cost double to receive the sa=
me effect you can get from Windows PCs, no matter how creative they are wit=
h their pricing. You want a standardized environment that can be centrally=
managed to save on personnel resources and frustrations.

Also, your software applications needed for the business side of your schoo=
l will determine the platform you need to run. Most robust student record/=
financial database applications will need Windows/Windows Server (read: Bl=
ackbaud). Mixed environments require more and more resources to maintain t=
hem, you'll need an expert for every differing system. Keep it simple..

Hope that helps some.

Jomar McDonald
Director of Technology
The Frances Xavier Warde School