Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Re: Best Platform for a New School

Permit me to expaline ourt setup:

We have a lab of MacMini's each of which can run MacOS, Windows and
linux. We require student to use a different OS each day they are in
the lab. So for example if you used Mac the previous time you must use
Windows or linux today. We do not provide either server storage or
email to either students or faculty. They use USB pen drives to hold
their files or use Google apps. They arrange for their own email
service, most using gmail.

Only the Mac is able to offer us the ability to do this three OS
training that we have implemented. The idea is that no one should ever
be locked into one OS and not know the others.

By the way the modern MacOS is perfectly capable of being integrated
into a Window's based server environment or you can run the MacOS
Server. It is a sophisticated UNIX based OS every bit the equal of
windows.

Greg

http://www.thayer.org