Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: Backup Solutions

Kathy,

We use an LTO-3 single tape backup drive (Dell). It holds 400 gigs
native per tape. The hardware works well, but as I have added more
servers I have had to start picking and choosing what to back up (not
backing up some non-critical stuff).

What I am working on now is buying a 3 or 4TB NAS unit, like the Buffalo
Terastation line (

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=buffalo+terastation+pro ). This
will be located on the network, in an area physically as far away from
the servers as possible, and will be used as the main backup location
for daily backups. (Weekly?) tape backups will still be run for the
critical stuff and will still go off site. If we did not already have a
recent vintage tape drive I might consider an autoloader (tape library)
type drive to get extra capacity, but that would mean more tapes that
would have to be carried off-site.

For backup software I am currently using Commvault's Galaxy Express
($1000 from Dell --

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Non_Contract_License_Fulfilled/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04&sku=420-4410#Overview

). For one price it covers 4 windows servers and includes an Exchange
backup agent. The downside is that it is buggy in places, has poor
documentation and is not user friendly. I don't recommend it, but it
does work and covers a lot of hardware for the price. Be sure to get a
quote for the yearly maintenance before you buy the software.

I've used the old Backup Exec and later versions once it was bought and
became Veritas and that was easier to use (though I think more expensive
to cover the same hardware). There are many other backup software
options out there; I'm sure others will have some good suggestions.

What is your current backup solution?

Sam