Thursday, May 29, 2008

Re: Social Networking Policy

On Thu, May 29, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Alex Ragone <aragone@collegiateschool.org>
wrote:

> Good morning,
>
> NOTE: I know that we've had this conversation before, but I couldn't find
> the threads in the ISED-L Archives.
>
> At Collegiate School, we're looking at what our school policy on social
> networking between students and faculty should be.
>
> Our initial inclination was to create a restriction between students and
> faculty 'friending' each other on social networks. But then the exceptions
> happen...

Ah, and the exceptions are many. For example, what do you do about the
faculty member who is also a parent, and who interacts with his kid's
friends socially IRL anyway? Does it make sense to say that you can't do
online what you can otherwise? I have to say that since one of my students
showed me how to create a Facebook page, and we checked to see if my
daughter would accept me as one of her friends, I've been getting friend
requests from my daughter's friends.

A colleague of mine has a personal policy that I think is a very wise one.
She will not invite students to "friend" her. That's just too creepy. But,
if *they* make the first move, she'll accept. She feels that this also helps
them to realize that they're not the only ones out there in the "social
networks," and it gives her a chance to do a little "privacy education." And
she's not even a computer teacher.

--

keg

Keith E Gatling
mailto:keith@gatling.us
http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.