Friday, May 23, 2008

Re: School databases and the staffing for management of those databases

A little off topic - but I've recently come across some great free and
open source Extract, Transform and Load (ETL) tools and the one I really
like is called Pentaho Kettle - so that can really help with database
administration and reporting. There's also Talend and JasperSoft - all
good.

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
=EF=BB=BF401 Rosemont Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 644-3911

On Fri, 2008-05-23 at 10:03 -0500, Jeff Ritter wrote:
> Fred:
>=20
> This is a great question. When I got to St. John's 8 years ago, I was=20
> tasked with consolidating all of the databases or at least get them=20
> talking to each other but was given no resources to do this. Just this=20
> past summer I was given the money and we hired a Database=20
> Administrator. Once she was hired we also finally got our website data=20
> tied to Raiser's Edge and are finally moving forward with getting things=20
> tied together.
>=20
> Our DBA's roll is to make sure all data is consistent between databases,=20
> handle incoming parent/student information, point person on=20
> consolidation/integration of databases, and an overall resource for the=20
> offices that use the databases. Our Network Administrator handles all=20
> upgrades, backups, and server management and he works closely with our=20
> DBA. They both report to me and office near each other that is pretty=20
> central to most of the main offices that use the databases.
>=20
> I think you are correct that this position is going to become more and=20
> more important in schools. In addition to how data driven schools have=20
> become, the pressure to get the databases talking to each other is just=20
> going to increase and there has to be someone to coordinate all of this.
>=20
> Jeff Ritter
> Director of Technology
> St. John's School
> 2401 Claremont Ln.
> Houston, TX 77019
> 713-850-4020
>=20
> Fred Bartels wrote:
> > I'm very curious what independent schools are doing in terms of databas=
> > management staffing. How many positions, where the positions are locate=
> > within the organizational structure, and what the impact is on staffing=
of
> > various approaches to providing database services... are the major
> > questions I have. Before creating a survey I thought it would be helpfu=
> > to brainstorm the idea a bit to help clarify what information would be
> > most helpful to collect... and of course share.
> >
> > Thanks for any thoughts you are willing to share on the subject.
> >
> > Fred
> >
> > [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> > Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attributio=
n, non-commercial, share-alike license.