Friday, May 23, 2008

Re: School databases and the staffing for managment of those databases

Fred:

This is a great question. When I got to St. John's 8 years ago, I was
tasked with consolidating all of the databases or at least get them
talking to each other but was given no resources to do this. Just this
past summer I was given the money and we hired a Database
Administrator. Once she was hired we also finally got our website data
tied to Raiser's Edge and are finally moving forward with getting things
tied together.

Our DBA's roll is to make sure all data is consistent between databases,
handle incoming parent/student information, point person on
consolidation/integration of databases, and an overall resource for the
offices that use the databases. Our Network Administrator handles all
upgrades, backups, and server management and he works closely with our
DBA. They both report to me and office near each other that is pretty
central to most of the main offices that use the databases.

I think you are correct that this position is going to become more and
more important in schools. In addition to how data driven schools have
become, the pressure to get the databases talking to each other is just
going to increase and there has to be someone to coordinate all of this.

Jeff Ritter
Director of Technology
St. John's School
2401 Claremont Ln.