Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: email retention policy - and data retention

So are we! And I'm looking for software to mange it. We'd like to scan =
part of it and store it that way instead of electronically.

One of the places we looked was the NAIS web site which does have some =
guidelines and then our state education agency. Our policy is still =
"verbal" at this point.

Thank you,
=20
Sister Elizabeth
Powhatan School

>>> Curt Lieneck <clienec@ucls.uchicago.edu> 5/15/2008 11:01 AM >>>
As Matt suggests, setting quotas and sticking to them is helpful in =20
this regard. Users can see how much space they have left at any given =20
time and are learning to manage their quotas with some help from IT =20
staff.

Getting more gently assertive about confronting excessive personal use =20
of school resources is helping, also. We were more tolerant about this =20
when work was the only place people could get email accounts and =20
network access, but that's changed.

We'll be working on a formal data retention policy this summer, so =20
I'll be curious to see what others have to say on the thread.

Curt Lieneck
Director of Information Technology
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools

On May 15, 2008, at 9:31 AM, Matt Burkhardt wrote:

> On Thu, 2008-05-15 at 10:03 -0400, Barbara McGinley wrote:
>
>> Good Morning,
>> We have a real problem with people keeping email so I would be very
>> interested to hear from anyone who has established a written policy.
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Barbara McGinley
>> Network Administrator
>> Archmere Academy
>> 3600 Philadelphia Pike
>> Claymont DE. 19703
>> 302-798-6632 ext.732
>> mcginley@archmereacademy.com=20
>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =20
>> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20
>
> That's always a difficult decision. A few years back, Microsoft got
> blasted because they had emails from years back and a lot of lawyers
> were saying to only hold email somewhere between 30 and 90 days. =20
> Google
> allows people to keep about 6.7 GB for free and keep information for =20
> as
> long as they like - so where should you fall in between that line.
>
> What problem are you trying to solve? Is it disk space or is it =20
> backup
> time and capabilities? Are you trying to move your schools to use =20
> less
> paper or do you have a few hoarders? So far, we've found the best
> solution is to agree to keep emails for two years and keep a cap of
> about 500MB on the files. That way, folks could keep information on
> hand, send and receive large multimedia files that they needed, but =20
> have
> a method to automatically get rid of older information. The hoarders
> will still complain, but explain they can always get a Google email
> account for free with the 6.7GB of storage. Just take the time to
> explain the reasons behind the change, and you'll get little to no
> complaining.
>
> Also, we have always put a little disclaimer that email is not for
> personal use - but we have never enforced that.
>
> Hope this helps
>

> In the past, we have suggested
> --=20
> Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
> President
> Impari Systems, Inc.
> Phone: (301) 644-3911
> mlb@imparisystems.com=20
> http://www.imparisystems.com=20

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =20
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.