Thursday, May 22, 2008

Re: School databases and the staffing for managment of those databases

As a shoot-off from Fred, for those of you who don't have a dedicated
Database Person (even though you probably need one), how do you deal with
data cleaning? Is it a once-in-a-while thing you do? Or is it an ongoing
collaboration between several departments? We can't seem to get our act
together on this one.

Jen

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 12:41 PM, Fred Bartels <fred_bartels@rcds.rye.ny.us>
wrote:

> Renee, Alex, Curt, Kate, Dave and Tom,
>
> Thanks for your thoughtful responses. It is really quite amazing how
> database driven our schools have become over the past twenty years. It is
> also quite amazing (though of course typical) that every independent
> school has a different approach to managing these databases. It seems
> clear that a full-time database manager/coordinator/facilitator is
> becoming a defacto position at many schools, and that making that position
> explicit will become more common moving forward. In our case, a
> long-serving administrator who developed and maintained many FileMaker
> databases will be retiring in a year and we are starting the process of
> researching how we will move forward without him.
>
> Should be interesting.
>
> Fred

Jennifer Davenport
Director of Technology