Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Re: School databases and the staffing for managment of those databases

Hi Fred,

We have a Database manager in our Development office who is .25 percent Technology Department. Her job is to coordinate the 'common fields' between our many databases. This means creating policies and procedures for each database in the school.

The Technology Department is responsible for backups, upgrades, and migrations of different databases.

Each Department that has a database is expected to have a resident expert who is in charge of maintaining data and keep it up to date.

- Alex

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>I'm very curious what independent schools are doing in terms of database
>management staffing. How many positions, where the positions are located
>within the organizational structure, and what the impact is on staffing of
>various approaches to providing database services... are the major
>questions I have. Before creating a survey I thought it would be helpful
>to brainstorm the idea a bit to help clarify what information would be
>most helpful to collect... and of course share.
>
>Thanks for any thoughts you are willing to share on the subject.
>
>Fred
>
>[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

Alex Ragone
Director of Technology
Collegiate School