Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: Microsoft Forefront Security

Hi David,

We are using Computer Associates, but just their anti-virus and it is an =
easy install and seems to do a good job. I run their anti-virus and =
firewall at home and tried the spyware piece but had some trouble with it.

Thanks,
=20
Sister

>>> David Rossell <drossell@NorwoodSchool.org> 5/15/2008 11:03 AM >>>
By default SEP installs three components: antivirus/antispam, proactive
threat protection, and network threat protection (a firewall). The PTP =
and
NTP are pains in the butt, so I've been looking to install only antivirus.
We've had problems with the install settings in the SEP manager not being
communicated down to the clients. We build install packages specifying =
only
antivirus, but get all three. Symantec tells me it's because we installed
the SEP server over a remote desktop connection and run the manager over a
remote desktop connection, that results are inconsistent if you're not at =
Console session. Since my SEP server is a virtual machine, I'm never =
going
to be at a console, unless I'm using the VMWare Virtual Center. I'm not
crazy about forcing the rest of the IT staff to log into the Virtual =
Center
just to distribute antivirus clients. =20

The other factor is somewhat irrational, I have to confess. I'm fed up =
with
Symantec. We ran into problems with the RTVScan.exe in version 10, which =
is
why we're now using SEP. Our IT team has lost a lot of time to what feels
like a product that has become less reliable with age.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like a more detailed description of =
our
pain . . .

David Rossell
Administrator of Network Services and Planning
Norwood School
8821 River Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20817
(301) 841-2178