Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Re: School databases and the staffing for managment of those databases

Hi,

We have a database manager. The people that use the school Blackbaud
databases are all in the administration building so that is where the
database manager is housed. (The teachers only access it to put in
attendance and grades.) The database manager reports to the Asst. to
the Headmaster.

I, as the Director of Technology, am in charge of ensuring everything
works. I do all Blackbaud updates. I also deal with issues and
problems relating to Blackbaud. I also do all backups and restores.

There are several people in the Development department. They all use
Raiser's Edge. The Dir. of Development oversees how it is used by her
people. At the moment, Raiser's Edge is not integrated with our
Education or Financial Edge databases, so the database manager doesn't
deal with this database at all.

There are several people in the Finance department. The Dir. of Finance
oversees how the Financial Edge database is used. =20

Education Edge is fully integrated with the Financial Edge. Our
database manager is the organizer of Education Edge. She creates all
the queries when we need them (so they are organized), she cleans up the
database, she ensures data entry consistency, etc.

I hope this helps.

Renee Ramig
Director of Technology
Seven Hills School
=20
The only real mistake is the one from which we learn nothing. John
Powell