Thursday, May 29, 2008

Re: Social Networking Policy

I am a fan of policies that address behaviors, not technologies. I
think it is more flexible and powerful to discuss the concerns of
privacy, professionalism, and communication. In an effort to make
policies so specific, a lot of schools tie their own hands. Make
copious references to other behavior policies in your technology AUP.

I know folks are nervous about the Horace Mann article but policies
should be pre-emptive, not reactive. I'm not suggesting that this is
the response at Collegiate but, in general, reactive policies tend to be
too specific and fail to anticipate new behaviors and new technologies.

Not a very specific response. I apologize, Alex. However, I just see
too many schools missing the boat on policies and I've got a bee in my
bonnet about it.

Take care,
Alex

Alex Inman
Director of Technology
Whitfield School
St. Louis, MO
314.434.5141

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L