Thursday, May 22, 2008

Re: Substitute teachers and use of school laptops?

I find this topic very interesting. So how are expectations of
technology met with a substitute?
We have a policy at present that a sub (unless long-term) will not use
technology, because they are not usually on board with how technology
is handled in our school.
If they are a long term sub, they work with me on technology projects
or integration and are also given an account on our computers.
We would like to overcome this, which sounds like a training issue.

Would love to hear more how others handle this.
Lisa Douthit
Technology Resources & Locust Systems Admin
Notre Dame de Sion

On May 22, 2008, at 1:43 PM, Lisa Sjogren wrote:

> On May 22, 2008, at 1:38 PM, Tami Brass wrote:
>
>> While we're on the subject of providing laptops (and appropriate
>> training) for all faculty, how are you dealing with substitutes?
>> - Daily subs?
>
> Nope
>>
>> - Long-term subs?
>
> Yes, they get an account on the teacher laptop.
>

>> - Sabbatical replacements?
>
> Have not had to deal with before so I am not entirely sure how we
> would handle it.
>>
>> Does integration stop when there's a sub, or is it expected to
>> continue normally?
>
> Integration is expected to continue as normal. Long-term subs are
> require to integrate just as much as a regular teacher. Most
> teachers for daily subs give them integration based lessons which
> work well and the kids are able to adapt.
>>

>> And what about teachers on medical/maternity/sabbatical leave? Do
>> they keep their laptops or do they transfer to their temporary
>> replacements?
>>
> Their laptops are transferred to their replacements.
>
>> Tami Brass
>> MS Technology Coordinator
>> St. Paul Academy & Summit School
>> http://www.spa.edu
>> tbrass@spa.edu
>> http://www.tech4teaching.org
>> http://del.icio.us/brasst
>> tamilb@mac.com
>>

>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>> attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

thinksnow11
thinksnow11@gmail.com