Monday, May 26, 2008

Re: communication and lice

One of the things that helps to remove the stigma of head lice, and allows
it to be treated like any other childhood infirmity, is the willingness to
*talk* about it. When each of our daughters, 9.5 years apart, had bouts with
head lice from both daycare and school, we openly talked about it, including
discussing the changes in treatment that had occurred the intervening years.

When you talk about it like it was the chicken pox, the stigma goes away.
The problem is that while many of us know from having read the most recent
research that it's *not* a cleanliness-based problem, many people still
think it is, and no one wants to be the first to say "our kid has head lice"
and possibly be shunned by the unenlightened.

--
keg

Keith E Gatling - Computer Instructor
Manlius Pebble Hill School
5300 Jamesville Rd
DeWitt, NY 13214
315.446.2452
http://www.gatling.us/keith

Some teachers teach subjects. Others teach people.