Thursday, May 22, 2008

Re: Substitute teachers and use of school laptops?

Again we feel that we must provide a laptop if teachers are to use any technology with their students. We are a laptop school and therefore there is an expectation from students that some of their work at least will involve the use of their laptop or
tablet.

A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on Thursday, May 22, 2008 at 1:38 PM -0500 wrote:
>While we're on the subject of providing laptops (and appropriate training) for all faculty, how are you dealing with substitutes?
>- Daily subs?
No. There is not time to get them to sign paperwork to use the network and give them the training they would need to function. They just don't use tech on those days.

>- Long-term subs?
Yes - we generally pull a laptop out of the loaner pool and hope we don't need it. They sign for network access, get an email account, access to the teacher's Blackboard account, etc. Whatever is needed for the students to continue to get the education
they would with a regular teacher.

>- Sabbatical replacements?
Yes - again from the loaner pool. Doesn't happen very often.

>Does integration stop when there's a sub, or is it expected to continue normally?
It is not expected for a day or two, but it is expected for any extended period of time. It's the way we teach here!

>And what about teachers on medical/maternity/sabbatical leave? Do they keep their laptops or do they transfer to their temporary replacements?
We allow those teachers on leave to keep theirs. We find the communication between the teacher and the temporary replacement to be important for continuity for the students. We also want to keep the teacher on leave in the loop as to what is going on at
school and in the classroom, and to have the teachers continue planning for their return. Costly? Yes, but part of what we need to do for the curriculum.

Hope this helps. Karen