Friday, January 9, 2009

Re: Thoughts on Xirrus?

I have heard other schools with this same complaint, and it's really a sham=
e. It seems Meru's sales and marketing channel are pushing their N product=
s, while engineers and insiders readily admit that their N products are not=
up to the same standards as their G products. Meru's single channel virtu=
al cell products do some amazing things with standard 802.11 a/b/g, and I h=
ope that once they can bring that technology to their N line that reputatio=
n will return. However, I have to agree with Jomar, if you need N right no=
w Meru is not a good bet.

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager
The Key School, Annapolis Maryland

AP300
> series 802.11n access points and controllers for both my campuses and it
> turned out to be an absolute nightmare. It all started with the sales te=
am
> neglecting to mention virtual cell/single channel not being available at =
this
> time on their 802.11n equipment. They also switched me to a 3 channel
> configuration, one for each floor but I have to ask.. If I have to manual=
ly
> configure my channel and power arrangements, then what is the point of th=
eir
> controller!? I had RF problems, clients bouncing around, AP's rebooting
> randomly with 802.11n enabled and 65% of my notebooks had major issues
> connecting to their AP's. Their engineers were out here numerous times t=
rying
> to figure it out and they passed the blame over to Microsoft. It just di=
dn't
> make any sense that ordinary wifi chipsets (intel 3945) couldn't make or
> maintain a connection on their equipment.
>=20
> This went on for 4 months till this week I installed Aruba AP125 AP's and
> controllers and it's been like night and day. I've only been in producti=
on 1
> day so far and yesterday's results look really promising. All I can say =
is be
> very careful with Meru if you're looking for 802.11n AND single channel N=
OW.