Thursday, January 8, 2009

Re: Facebook question

1. Using Facebook and other SN tools(Social Networking) is a fantastic way to to promote your school, keep alumni connected, and you and your PR/Dev office should use them extensively if you want to build an endowment and stay connect with your alumni (until the next tool comes along). As a school you will need to have conversation around whether using SN tools for marketing the school is inconsistent with denying it to your existing students.

2. Philosophically, allowing SN (From Facebook to LinkedIn) is dependent on what you are willing to teach. If you approach the internet as a pure research tool then SNs are not for you. If you feel that the Internet is a general educational topic, akin to health class, typing, or science (note I did not say biology or physics) then it would probably work for you. Most professionals I know use SNs extensively to promote their careers. LinkedIn is technically no different from FaceBook.

3. Resource, issues are important and the best reason for denying SN Apps. If you have the budge/ability to constrain usage (e.g. SN can only be 25% of all traffic) then it is easier to introduce. However, I have to disagree a little with Jason Hyams. Five days is not enough to understand the traffic/distraction implications. Access to the previously forbidden, has an intensity that is unequaled.... especially for those in High School. I think a month would be more indicative ... providing that you have the administrative support to ride it out, tech to throttle if needed, and/or your demographics do not make school the primary network (i.e. this is the only place your students can get on FaceBook). If you do not, that is OK. Just acknowledge that is the reason, and do not blame it on other factors (e.g. students were teasing each other using FB).

4. Socially, you need to be willing to address all that comes with FB. This gets worse longer you delay entry. There have been a number of comments around this on the list but they generally boil down to, "Technology is irrelevant ... Demand the same behavior in all spheres". There have been dozens of studies disproving the widely held opinion that sugar makes children hyperactive. I believe the blame placed on tech for behavioral problems is equally misplaced.

5. Fear of viruses is the worst reason to deny FB usage. SN sites have a much bigger incentive to stay clean than nearly any other site. Major SN sites are lower risk than the general Internet.

6. A faculty/staff policy is not a bad idea. I recommend they set up a separate account for school.

Full disclosure, my day job is running AARP's social networking application.

_Jason

Jason at jasonpj@yahoo.com