Friday, January 9, 2009

Re: Thoughts on Xirrus?

I hate to bad mouth Meru.. but I'm gonna do it anyway. I purchased Meru AP=
300 series 802.11n access points and controllers for both my campuses and i=
t turned out to be an absolute nightmare. It all started with the sales te=
am neglecting to mention virtual cell/single channel not being available at=
this time on their 802.11n equipment. They also switched me to a 3 channe=
l configuration, one for each floor but I have to ask.. If I have to manual=
ly configure my channel and power arrangements, then what is the point of t=
heir controller!? I had RF problems, clients bouncing around, AP's rebooti=
ng randomly with 802.11n enabled and 65% of my notebooks had major issues c=
onnecting to their AP's. Their engineers were out here numerous times tryi=
ng to figure it out and they passed the blame over to Microsoft. It just d=
idn't make any sense that ordinary wifi chipsets (intel 3945) couldn't make=
or maintain a connection on their equipment.

This went on for 4 months till this week I installed Aruba AP125 AP's and c=
ontrollers and it's been like night and day. I've only been in production =
1 day so far and yesterday's results look really promising. All I can say =
is be very careful with Meru if you're looking for 802.11n AND single chann=
el NOW. You won't get it and for the life of me I have no idea how their s=
uccessful clients are getting by. I know for a fact we're not the only one=
s.

Thanks

Jomar McDonald
Director of Technology