Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Re: lower school laptops

Hi Phil---

We are K-5 on this campus and have both--- a computer lab and carts of
laptops.

Kids come to the lab for skill instruction which is taught in conjunction
with a project that connects to a classroom unit of instruction.

This requires a thorough knowledge of all the curriculum as the ideas for
the projects are generally still suggested/created by me.

Teachers (K-4) also use the lab with their classes as we have allocated
"extra" computer time in our schedule and theirs for them to come to the
lab.

Carts are available anytime for anyone and are loaded with the main
applications used in the lab.

Their frequency of use is generally predicated on the tech comfort
level/knowledge of the classroom teacher and the amount of time the laptops
can be used (ie a classroom teacher generally has a larger block of time to
do set-up etc. than a departmentalized class).

I'm happy to talk with you about what you are planning and answer any
questions.=20

Susan Ferris Rights
The Pingry School
973-379-4550

On 1/28/09 9:37 AM, "Zaubi, Phil" <Phil.Zaubi@portergaud.edu> wrote:

> Good morning everyone,
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Next year, we are eliminating our lower school computer lab and are movin=
> toward a laptop cart for each grade (1-5). We currently are in the proces=
s of
> getting hardware and software quotes as well as working with our teachers=
> get lessons mapped out that tie into our curriculum.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> To help answer some questions that we have, we=B9re looking for any schools
> which already use laptops in their lower school who would be willing to t=
alk
> to me and our lower school computer teacher/integrator about what works a=
nd
> what doesn=B9t work in this environment. I know that all schools are differ=
ent
> and what works in one might not work in another, but I=B9m trying to get ou=
r LS
> comp teacher as much information as possible to help easy any worries and=
/or
> concerns.
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Thanks for your time
>=20
>=20
>=20
> Phil
>=20
>=20
>=20
> _____________________________________
>=20
> Phil Zaubi
>=20
> Director of Academic Technology
>=20
> Porter-Gaud School
>=20
> Charleston, Sc
>=20
> 843.402.4711
>=20
> http://www.portergaud.edu
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

Susan Ferris
susanferris123@gmail.com
908-568-1884

-- Sometimes the mind, for reasons we don't necessarily understand, just
decides to go to the store for a quart of milk.
Diane Frolov and Andrew Schneider, Northern Exposure, Three Doctors, 1993