Friday, January 9, 2009

Re: Facebook question

Karen! We are inundated with this software. At least now I know where to =
start looking. Do you know specifically which sites they are going to? I =
know of at least one, but I'm sure there are probably 100. We came back =
from Christmas break this week and it's like having them come back from =
summer break. In some cases, I can get rid of the spy/malware, but more =
times than not I don't have much choice but to back up files and reimage.
=20
Hope your New Year was a good one!
Robin

>>> Karen Douse <douse@harpethhall.org> 1/8/2009 3:19 PM >>>
Hi Linda - Is this because of student laptops? Don't the students use =
Facebook on their laptops when they go home? We do block Facebook for =
students during the day - not because of viruses or safety, but because =
they were spending too much time on
Facebook during the day. Our girls get malware from using laptops at home =
- we just have to help them to remove it or reimage their machines. It =
does not affect our network - only their laptops.=20

Are the rest of you seeing a rise in spyware and malware recently? Right =
now our biggest problem is coming from free TV and movie sites where =
students download software to watch TV and movies - it downloads spyware =
that shuts off our spyware protection -
tells the user she has a virus - then tries to sell her virus protection =
that will remove it. We have not seen any viruses get past our system in =
ages - not from Facebook or anywhere else.

It's always something!

Karen

Karen Douse
Director of Library and Information Services
Ann Scott Carell Library
Harpeth Hall School
615-346-0116
douse@harpethhall.org=20
A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> on =
Thursday, January 08, 2009 at 1:39 PM -0600 wrote:
>Our Director of Information Technology, Ben Liu, would like to know how
>schools who do not block Facebook prevent hacking and Facebook viruses.
>How do you keep your network secure?

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.