Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Re: moodle questions

We also host our own Moodle server in house as a VM in our ESX cluster. Us=
age is very light, and resource utilization stats on the VM bears that out.=
However, based on my calculations, this VM can scale quite effectively. =
To keep load reasonable, we use Lighttpd instead of Apache, PHP running in =
Fast-CGI mode, and a PHP caching engine. Moodle 1.9 brought along many, ma=
ny code improvements as well, bringing overall script execution time down.

My biggest concern with continuing to keep Moodle in-house is our power sit=
uation. Key is in an older, residential community that frequently looses p=
ower during major storms. Our battery backup system only runs us for an ad=
ditional 20 minutes before shutting systems down, so in the event of an ext=
ended power outage that would shut down the school, our Moodle site would a=
lso be shut down. I'm considering moving Moodle off-site to a hosted VM, b=
ut I want to maintain LDAP authentication against AD for our logins. Of co=
urse, if our power is out on campus our AD is down, so even though Moodle i=
s off-site no one could log in. So now I'm looking at two VMs, one for Moo=
dle and one for a read-only domain controller.

Anyway, the point of this post is that planning is everything, and uptime i=
s more than just about having your Moodle server up. If it depends on LDAP=
authentication, your internal mail server for communication, etc, you need=
to take those things into account.

---
Steven Dickenson <sdickenson@keyschool.org>
Computer Network Manager