Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Re: Thoughts on Xirrus?

We have looked at Aruba, Trapeze, Meru, Cisco, Apple Xirrus and
Ruckus . In each case we asked the vendors to come out, show us the
product, demo it and do a site survey to determine the proper
placement of APs based on our requirements for coverage, density and
throughput. I would highly recommend getting someone it or at least
take the time time to do a site survey on your own. We did our site
survey for our Apple BaseStations years ago and it was time well spent
and money saved.

As for Meru, they were the only controller based system which operated
on a single channel. This to me was a little concerning. I
understood how they said it worked, but as with so many of these
solutions it all comes back to the controller and in the Meru case
having to have the controller monitor all the traffic AND maintain the
single channel I was and continue to be skeptical.

The only two solution I looked at that offered something different
were Xirrus and Ruckus. Xirrus, based on cost and application didn't
make the most sense for us. They number of APs spec'd and the overall
cost was more than any other vendor. Ruckus now has our attention.
They offer an AP that is managed by a controller, but is not reliant
on the controller as with the other systems. It manages the APs but
does not get in the way of the data and therefore does not represent a
single point of failure on the system. The way in which their APs
work seem to do a better job at delivering the most focused bandwidth
per user than any other solution we've looked at.

With all that said, we are still looking and asking questions, but
have narrowed things down to really considering Aruba and Ruckus.

William D. Stites, Jr.
Director of Technology
The Montclair Kimberley Academy
201 Valley Road