Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Re: Thoughts on Xirrus?

I agree with you Brian.

We have turned into a huge supporter of Xirrus after switching over to
them last year. We did the free live site survey and were amazed at the
improvement. The service is incredible and they provide a full 5 year
warrantee on HW. We have had a 1:1 program for 10 years and we now use
75% fewer switch ports (I counted) with much greater distance, coverage
and throughput.=20

A separate controller is not necessary to run the arrays because the
controller and switch are built into each array. The single point of
failure issue is a good point but we were running a wireless system
managed by a single controller which was also a single point of
failure..it may not be if you have multiple controllers. Bottom
line...our teachers are using tons of video, DyKnow and web 2.0 programs
without having the signal droppage that we have had to deal with in past
years. Also, even though they are new, I think they have only been in
business for 5 years, many well respected institutions are switching
over to them. I am certainly not a wireless expert but we have been
extremely happy with our choice.

Good luck,
Connie

Connie White