Thursday, January 8, 2009

Re: Facebook question

Our school does not have a distraction problem because we don't have a
one-to-one laptop program. Most of the students who do use Facebook, they
have time over study halls or tutorials.

If students using Facebook during class time is a problem, maybe if you
catch them using Facebook during class, teachers may detain the laptops
until the end of the day. While laptops are a powerful tool, they also come
with responsibility to respect the teacher and the education provided by the
school.

As for viruses that comes into our network, we use a UTM device (SonicWall
Pro 3060) which scans network packets for viruses & spyware. Any viruses or
spyware anyone visits is blocked by our UTM. Our anti-spam server is done
by our Barracuda.

To combat the rise in rogue software, I believe a quick education in spyware
and exploits would be needed before they can get their laptop back. If you
just give it back to them, have they learned anything from the experience?
Maybe you can hold on to it for a 24+ hour period before you return it.

Just some ideas...

Brian