Monday, January 26, 2009

Re: ISED: Shopping for Professional Development tracking s/w

Hi Aeronia et al,

Glad this was helpful. No, I don't know of any NAIS schools using PD-Tracke=
r, but I bet if you asked the guy, he'd provide references. Here's the ning=
link again: http://tinyurl.com/5o4uvy. At $125/year (and a 60 day free tri=
al) it seems very reasonably priced for individual schools, but I'm all for=
the power of consortium purchasing and consortium collaboration. I don't t=
hink this software includes tools for collaboration, but it would be intere=
sting to see if social networking technology (both within individual school=
s and between schools) could contribute to creating enthusiasm for professi=
onal development events. Perhaps the software developer could consider this=
.

I like the way ning shows what events are upcoming, and who is going: http=
://isenet.ning.com/events/event/listUpcoming. You can also message attendee=
s and comment on event pages, but can't yet rate events. I'd love to see th=
is kind of functionality in PD Tracker.=20
Btw, the SLA EDUcon 2.0 event virtual sessions this past weekend were pheno=
menal. I think some of them may be archived. It's this type of e

Regarding consortium purchasing, I continue to think there is opportunity f=
or our schools, especially with big ticket items like computers, site licen=
sing for software, and expensive guest speakers. It seems like there would =
be benefit from putting our purchasing power together on this. In the past =
when we've discussed it, it seems like purchasing cycles and individual sch=
ools' requirements have been stumbling blocks, but perhaps in these leaner =
economic times there would be renewed energy to explore possibilities.

Thanks,
Demetri

Demetri Orlando
Battle Ground Academy
Franklin, TN
http://isenet.ning.com

Date: Sun, 25 Jan 2009 21:26:40 -0500
From: "Poole, Aeronia" <apoole@MADEIRA.org>
Subject: Re: ISED: Shopping for Professional Development tracking s/w

Demetri, this is golden information. This looks like what we can use =3D a=
lso--do you know any US NAIS schools testing/using it? I spoke with =3D an=
other independent and she is interested in perhaps forming a =3D consortium=
that can share use of a package.

Thanks