Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Re: Switching Email Systems

When I got here, we were running GroupWise and I quickly migrated to Exchan=
ge 2007. There were a few ways to do this. I could have left both servers=
up and sharing data between each other for some time or I could have broug=
ht both servers up, synchronized the data and then dropped the legacy Group=
Wise but I decided to just make a clean break for it. I felt that if I had=
synchronized Novell GroupWise/eDirectory, considering the state that it wa=
s in at the time, I would have introduced too many issues into our new envi=
ronment. I simply created everyone new mailboxes on Exchange, exported eve=
ryone's mailboxes from GroupWise and then imported them into Exchange. The=
only issue you'll have problems with are address book/calendar entries bet=
ween differing systems. I mitigated this by training, and then retraining =
on Outlook. Figure out a way to get the messages out and then into whateve=
r you choose, and you should be fine. Also, be sure to prompt everyone to =
clean up their mailboxes somewhat before the cutover.

Thanks

Jomar McDonald
Director of Technology
The Frances Xavier Warde School