Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Re: Sales of textbooks to students - emerging trend?

Why not use Amazon's Associate Program? Just set up links on your web
site to the books, have Amazon pack and ship it for you and get 10% of
the revenue back for your school. That way, you don't have to deal with
purchasing, buy back, etc and the kids can sell the books back to Amazon
if they want to.

On Tue, 2008-10-14 at 02:42 -0400, Bill Ivey wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Of the two schools I've worked at in the 21st Century, one lends
> textbooks, one sells them. At Stoneleigh-Burnham School, where I
> currently work, our school store manager handles textbook ordering and
> distribution, with as much faculty help as she can dredge up at the
> beginning of the year. We do have a textbook buyback program.
>
> Speaking as a Humanities teacher who uses democratic teaching
> techniques, I love the flexibility of being able to custom-fit a group
> novel to a unit the kids design. For example, my classes are currently
> doing units on the North Pole, Dreams, and "Who am I and why do I
> like/love the things I do?" and I was able to order "When Santa Fell
> to Earth," "Gossamer" and "Just Ella" as group novels to complement
> those units. If I were constrained by what already exists in a
> departmental bookroom, I would survive (many such schools do), but my
> units would be less, well, unified :-) and thus less useful to the
> kids.
>
> Take care,
> Bill Ivey
> Stoneleigh-Burnham School
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

Matt Burkhardt, MSTM
President
Impari Systems, Inc.
502 Fairview Avenue
Frederick, MD 21701
mlb@imparisystems.com
www.imparisystems.com
(301) 682-7901

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L