Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: Microsoft Forefront Security

By default SEP installs three components: antivirus/antispam, proactive
threat protection, and network threat protection (a firewall). The PTP =
and
NTP are pains in the butt, so I've been looking to install only =
antivirus.
We've had problems with the install settings in the SEP manager not =
being
communicated down to the clients. We build install packages specifying =
only
antivirus, but get all three. Symantec tells me it's because we =
installed
the SEP server over a remote desktop connection and run the manager over =
remote desktop connection, that results are inconsistent if you're not =
at a
Console session. Since my SEP server is a virtual machine, I'm never =
going
to be at a console, unless I'm using the VMWare Virtual Center. I'm not
crazy about forcing the rest of the IT staff to log into the Virtual =
Center
just to distribute antivirus clients. =20

The other factor is somewhat irrational, I have to confess. I'm fed up =
with
Symantec. We ran into problems with the RTVScan.exe in version 10, =
which is
why we're now using SEP. Our IT team has lost a lot of time to what =
feels
like a product that has become less reliable with age.

Feel free to give me a call if you'd like a more detailed description of =
our
pain . . .

David Rossell
Administrator of Network Services and Planning
Norwood School
8821 River Rd.
Bethesda, MD 20817
(301) 841-2178