Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: email retention policy

As Matt suggests, setting quotas and sticking to them is helpful in
this regard. Users can see how much space they have left at any given
time and are learning to manage their quotas with some help from IT
staff.

Getting more gently assertive about confronting excessive personal use
of school resources is helping, also. We were more tolerant about this
when work was the only place people could get email accounts and
network access, but that's changed.

We'll be working on a formal data retention policy this summer, so
I'll be curious to see what others have to say on the thread.

Curt Lieneck
Director of Information Technology
University of Chicago Laboratory Schools