Thursday, May 15, 2008

Re: email retention policy

My understanding is that if, God forbid, there is legal action pending and =
you don't have a policy you might be expected to have kept everything. =
So, I'm trying to be reasonable but write a policy that says after ?? long =
it goes far, far away never to be seen again. I will allow the users to =
set up an achieve that gets it out of the main mail service, but that =
becomes their problem and falls under the general backup policy.

Is my understanding correct?

Thank you,
=20
Sister Elizabeth
Powhatan School

>>> Greg Kearney <kearney@tribcsp.com> 5/15/2008 10:31 AM >>>
As we do not have a school provided email server or provide email =20
accounts to students or faculty our policy is that we do not retain =20
emails of students or faculty. There is one single school controlled =20
email account used for sending notices to families I have set that =20
account to retain emails for two months.

There is a misconception that schools are under some kind of legal =20
requirement to retain data of this kind. You are not so required =20
unless you are party to a legal action. Just as with any legal action =20
destroying evidence once the action begins is not permitted this =20
applies to data as well as physical evidence. But outside of a legal =20
proceeding you are under no legal requirement to retain data.

In our case we offer no email or file networked file storage for =20
either students or faculty so there is simply nothing for us to retain =20
even in the event of a legal action. So request for email records =20
would have to be made to the student's or faculty member's email =20
provider we simply have on email server to search.

Greg
On May 15, 2008, at 8:03 AM, Barbara McGinley wrote:

> Good Morning,
> We have a real problem with people keeping email so I would be very
> interested to hear from anyone who has established a written policy.
> Thanks,
>
> Barbara McGinley
> Network Administrator
> Archmere Academy
> 3600 Philadelphia Pike
> Claymont DE. 19703
> 302-798-6632 ext.732
> mcginley@archmereacademy.com=20

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, =20
> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=3DISED-L=20

Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, =
non-commercial, share-alike license.