Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Re: School Continuity Plan

I've done several and just finished up one for CareFirst Blue Cross /
Blue Shield. I find that the National Institute for Standards and
Technology is a great resource. If you do an Internet search on NIST IT
Contingency Planning you will get a few templates and guides.

Also, Federal Emergency Management Agency has put together some
information at http://www.ready.gov/business/plan/planning.html

In addition, there's been several studies of problems after 9/11 and
Katrina out on the Internet. The two biggest lessons were:

1) Human life is the most important resource so make sure you have
really good contact information with multiple modes of communicating in
place including phone / text / email / web. That should be your number
one priority. Also try to have some kind of check-in and bulletin board
to leave messages. Sahana - http://www.sahana.lk/ - is a free and open
source disaster management tool and you can take a look at their site to
get some ideas. They are currently running a site for Haiti and are
used by New York City for their disaster management plans.

2) Treat it like an insurance policy. Over 65% of businesses without a
disaster plan never made it back into business after an incident.

Hope this helps - feel free to ask me questions.

On Tue, 2010-01-26 at 14:33 -0800, Steve Taffee wrote:

> Does anyone have a school continuity plan they are willing to share? I have
> seen general guidelines, but never an actual plan. Whether its a weather
> disaster, H1N1, locusts, or whatever, I'd like to see an example plan for
> both academic and business continuity.
>
> Tks.

> -----
> Steve Taffee staffee@castilleja.org
> Director of Technology 650.924.1040 (Google Voice)
> Castilleja School 650.470.7725 (office)
> 1310 Bryant Street 415.613.6684 (mobile)
> Palo Alto, CA 94301 www.castilleja.org | taffee.edublogs.org
> Women Learning, Women Leading
>
> Please consider the environment and print only when necessary.
>
> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

Customer Relationship Management Systems
We help you find and keep your best customers
mlb@imparisystems.com
http://www.imparisystems.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt
502 Fairview Avenue