Thursday, January 21, 2010

Re: Ipods

Tim

We don't block IM'ing. Our policy explicitly puts the responsibility
on the student to conduct oneself properly. Attention in the classroom
during lectures is expected. Inappropriate activity is not condoned
using any medium and is strictly enforced through our discipline
process.

We are a laptop school, but the students use a combination of laptop/
iPhone/iPod/cell phones for both school work and personal
communications. We do have a content filter, but rely on it to assist
filtering inappropriate content rather than dictate policy.

You might be able to block the iPods by their MAC address. They should
be within a certain range of addresses. That of course depends on your
network hardware/software being able to selectively block MAC's. There
is also the possibility of blocking certain TCP/UDP ports that support
the activities you are trying to stop.

You may spend a lot of time using technology to inhibit unapproved
activities, but the students can find a way around. We are finding it
much easier to enforce proper conduct than a battle of wit.

Fred Austin
Technology Director
The Oakwood School
Greenville, NC