Thursday, January 28, 2010

Re: Digital Portfolios

Hi, Lisa

We are also interested in Mahara, and we've installed it on a test Linux
server. So far, my Linux expert (running our Moodle and Zimbra servers) is
pretty unhappy about how complex it is at the server level, and how it
appears to have some rough edges to work out.

In my limited testing of it so far, I very much like it's conceptual premise
(student-centered, student choice about sharing, groups, profile page,
artifact pages, portoflio pages) but it's look and feel is pretty white and
bare bones. Our students and faculty are used to Moodle, which also isn't
that attractive, but we wonder if Mahara needs to go through one or two more
development generations first. Also, it may not have the full support
forums and investment of Moodle and Zimbra to fall back on yet.

So, good conceptually, and we're interested. We need to test more next.

Jim Heynderickx