Monday, January 25, 2010

Re: Considering new SIS - help please

I've done and been a part of so many software selection projects. It's
amazing how often people get into agreements / software contracts based
on things that have nothing to do with the actual product or product
capabilities. I've seen situations where the best looking sales person
has won the contract without the best (or even fifth best) product. I
would suggest:

1) Get a list of what you want the software to do
2) Give each capability that you want a priority on a scale from 1 to 5
- 5 being the most important, 1 would be nice to have for one person but
not required
3) Rate each vendor and product on a scale from 0 to 5 - 5 being
excellent, 0 being not available
4) Multiply the vendor score and the priority score and total up by
vendor

I would also suggest looking at open source software. There's some
really good packages out there including:

1) SchoolTool - http://www.schooltool.org - I've been working with
these guys for over two years - very dedicated bunch. The add-on
product CanDo is incredible and recently got superior ratings by over
90% of the teachers that used it in Virginia. Sadly, budget cuts have
delayed roll out to the entire state.

2) CentreSIS - http://www.centresis.org - one of the first open source
SIS products out on the market

3) OpenSIS - http://opensis.com/ - actually a fork of CentreSIS but
does a few things pretty nicely

On Mon, 2010-01-25 at 11:47 -0600, Bernadette Roche wrote:

> Back in Oct, there was quite a discussion about various software/vendors
> for student information databases. We are in the process of needing to
> change to something a bit more reliable, user friendly, easy to manage,
> etc. Problem is, I've never attempted a project like this so I don't
> know where to start except to search all the vendors and ask for info.
>

> Those of you who did an extensive search/research process, would you
> mind sharing information, questions, concerns, needs, wants, etc. that
> you asked of vendors. It seems like this is going to be a BIG decision
> on our part, so I want to make sure I've thought of everything and have
> my bases covered.
>

> I really appreciate the assistance. Thanks!
>

> Bernadette Roche
>

> Director of Technology
>
> Oakhill Day School
>
> www.oakhilldayschool.org
>
> bernadette.roche@oakhilldayschool.org
>
> 816.436.6228
>

> [ For info on ISED-L see https://www.gds.org/podium/default.aspx?t=128874 ]
> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

Matt Burkhardt
Impari Systems, Inc.

Customer Relationship Management Systems
We help you find and keep your best customers
mlb@imparisystems.com
http://www.imparisystems.com
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mlburkhardt
502 Fairview Avenue