Saturday, October 24, 2009

Schools Using Google for Domains

I love Gmail, I really do. And their apps are good for the purposes they
were designed for (which is for collaboration and editing, NOT for printing
final, formatted copies of your work), but I've got one real problem with
Gmail that may just be MY problem, but I'd love to know if anyone else here
sees this as a problem, and knows of a workaround for it before I suggest to
my school that we let Google take over our email function.

It's the archiving. Not that it can save every embarrassing email message I
ever wrote and the responses; but that it doesn't seem to know when to turn
itself off. I know that their goal is to make it easy to find everything
you've ever sent or received, but their methodology often makes it hard for
me to get through the stuff I want to look through.

For example, I have one Gmail account that everything goes to from all my
other accounts. It also sends stuff as my other accounts. The message you're
reading is coming from that account. As mail comes in from each of those
accounts or somehow triggers a filter option, it gets its own particular
label.

Looking at all of this stuff in the inbox can be a little overwhelming, so I
figure that switching to just looking at the items with one particular label
would make life a little easier. No. Now I'm treated to all the messages
I've archived that also fit under that label. The only way for me to just
see the current messages seems to be to *delete* anything that I don't think
I want anymore.

Is there a better way to handle this?

Thanks.
--

keg

========================================
Keith E Gatling
Email: keith@gatling.us
Blog: http://wordfromg.blogspot.com
Website: http://www.gatling.us/keith
The fact that I'm open-minded doesn't mean that I have to agree with you.
========================================

[ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.
RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L