Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Re: computer purchase for science lab room

Michael,

Thanks for the update on the port requirements. My current personal favori=
te based on successes with 1:1 deployment is the Dell Latitude 2100. This =
rubberized and durable netbook is capable of running Ubuntu, XP, Vista or W=
in7. It's small form factor and durable design would make an ideal fit in =
a science lab environment with wireless b/g/n support.
Netbook: http://www.dell.com/us/en/k-12/notebooks/laptop-latitude-2100/pd.a=
spx?refid=3Dlaptop-latitude-2100&s=3Dk12&cs=3D_26=20

Cart: http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/products/Security_and_Protection/p=
roductdetail.aspx?c=3Dus&l=3Den&s=3Dk12&cs=3DRC1084719&sku=3D330-4381

Based on your need for a serial interface, I recommend locating a USB RS-23=
2 Serial to USB Adaptor for each workstation as I am not aware of any entry=
/durable/cost effective laptop/netbook devices on the market. Not as elega=
nt as built in, but equally as functional. This will add $10-15 per unit f=
or the adaptor:
http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Serial.html (First link from google:usb/serial)

Please DM me if interested in learning more about my experience with the La=
titude 2100.

Thanks
Ryan R. Fox
TADS