Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: Music and video editing...

iMovie (which is now so much better than previous versions) is the
step below Final Cut Express and from there one would move to Final
Cut Pro which is fairly standard in the professional world with over
50% of the market. However, I don't really think it is about the
program totally, as when you get to the level of a final cut etc,
there are many many things that are so similar, one could easily
switch between the two.

As for music, garageband is just easy and fun. There is no other app
like it on the market. Logic is for quite a bit more advanced and I
would compare it more to ProTools which is also used in the
professional world. Audactiy is great for tweaking sounds, but does
not have all the bells and whistles of the programs mentioned here.

In all I think you need to look at what other things you want the
computer to be able to do or will they be only dedicated to movies and
music, that may drive your choice. Or look at what best fits your
users. We use garageband, iMovie, iDVD and as the teacher I sometimes
tweak things in Final Cut Express if it is a project that is not just
student work. I am very envious of those who are fortunate enough to
be able to afford Final Cut. Very cool.

Lisa Douthit
Technology Resources & Locust Systems Admin
Notre Dame de Sion
ldouthit@ndsion.edu

"CQ + PQ > IQ. Curiosity Quotient plus Passion Quotient is more
important than Intelligence Quotient."
~Tom Friedman