Monday, October 26, 2009

Re: Schools Using Google for Domains

I second looking into the advanced search operators and giving them a shot.
The labels that Tom mentioned are also huge helpers and time savers. Tom
didn't mention my favorite "lab" though called "Autocomplete". Enabling
this setting will try to guess what you are looking for (any address, name,
or operator) as you type it into the search box at the top of the gmail
window.

After switching our school to google apps, I had a brief overview of all of
gmails features including the threaded email "conversations", consistency
when viewing from any computer, sending mail as a different address (which
pretty much defeats the purpose of using any desktop app), and the google
labs settings. I suggested to everyone that even if they don't use any of
the labs at all, autocomplete is a must. (Another shoutout goes to "undo
send").

When I used to use a desktop app, thunderbird was my app of choice, yet
even that does not even come close to comparing all of the features that
gmail has to offer. I have successfully converted all but a select few of
our staff to the web gui from the outdated disaster that is outlook.

Go ahead and try out the other labs as well as the search operators and you
may find you start getting more used to gmail. Personally, I have 8
different email address all pulled into my gmail and I never have a problem
finding what I need.

Good luck!

Rick Castorani
Technology Coordinator