Saturday, August 8, 2009

Re: 21st century skills curriculum integration

There's so much talk about 21st Century Skills, but I don't see any
solid implementation plans. That's great that we're developing
curriculum and assessment, but where are the tools? What exactly are we
testing? I fear this is becoming very similar to the Internet Safety
issue where so many have resorted to lecture & video rather than
teaching. We wouldn't teach Science without the lab or Literature
without the novel, so why are we attempting to teach Internet Safety
without the Internet or educational technology without the tools?

One of the key phrases I've appreciated in their "Report and Mile Guide
for 21st Century Skills"
http://www.rzonz.com/file/source/frosty/21stCenturySkill.pdf pertained
to the need for 21st Century Tools. On page ten they state that "skilled
people in the 21st century need to understand how to use technology
tools." =20

Sure there are plenty of tools available out there in the public sector,
but today's public tools will always carry with them today's societal
issues. Do we really want to teach kids how to use the public tools and
lead them right into the problems we're attempting to teach them to
avoid? Is there a better way to safely prepare today's students so that
upon completion of the class we can be assured they'll be able to deal
with the issues instead of being contributors to the statistics?

I know there is, I built one for my school and I'd love to share it with
you: rzonz.com

Thanks,=20

Joe Frost=20
Director of Technology=20