Thursday, April 9, 2009

Re: Programming Class for the iPhone/iTouch

Fred,

A less slick, but maybe more forward-looking, alternative would be to
target the class towards Android devices. The SDK, simulator, and lots
of materials are all open and free. Of course, I'm biased, being both an
open source guy and a very happy G1 user. :)

Cheers,
Vern

Fred Bartels wrote:
> Hi Danton,
>
> Good question. I hope between now and next January (when I would start
> teaching the course) that perhaps Apple might be convinced to pilot a high
> school program. If that fails there are couple of options. The kids could
> just use the iPhone simulator -which is free- and purchasing of an
> iTouch/iPhone and the $99 developer fee would be optional, or, purchasing
> of the developer license could be considered like the cost of a textbook.
> Since this would be an advanced course with a programming prerequisite the
> students taking it would already be pretty committed to programming and
> would probably willingly accept the cost. We would help scholarship
> students with any costs, just as we do in other areas.
>
> Fred
>
> A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU> writes:
>> Hi Fred,
>> Out of curiosity how are you planning on giving each student a copy of the
>> iPhone SDK? There is a University program and even for that students must
>> be
>> 18 years of age to join. An equivalent high school iPhone Programming
>> Program does not exist and I don't believe Apple will be starting one.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Danton Chin
>>
>> On Wed, Apr 8, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Fred Bartels
>> <fred_bartels@ryecountryday.org
>>> wrote:
>>> Hi Catherine,
>>>
>>> I'm definitely going to give it a shot. We should create a group on the
>>> ISEN ning where we can share ideas.
>>>
>>> Fred
>>>
>>> A forum for independent school educators <ISED-L@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU>

>> other

>> attribution,
>>>

>>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons,
>> attribution,
>>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L
>>>
>> [ For info on ISED-L see http://www.gds.org/ISED-L ]
>> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution,
>> non-commercial, share-alike license.
>> RSS Feed, http://listserv.syr.edu/scripts/wa.exe?RSS&L=ISED-L

> Submissions to ISED-L are released under a creative commons, attribution, non-commercial, share-alike license.

This time for sure!
-Bullwinkle J. Moose
Vern Ceder, Director of Technology
Canterbury School, 3210 Smith Road, Ft Wayne, IN 46804
vceder@canterburyschool.org; 260-436-0746; FAX: 260-436-5137