Friday, April 10, 2009

Re: Programming Class for the iPhone/iTouch

Hope it's not a faux pas to pass on a post from another mailing list,
but this is from Matt Brenner on the AP CS list:

> I will be teaching a yearlong CS course next year at my school. This
> course, as the current yearlong course will use Java. It will be
> project based, as always, but all of the projects will be cell phone
> based. The prerequisite for this yearlong course is a one semester
> introductory course, also using Java. I announced the new (cell phone
> based) course in an e-mail to all 9th, 10th and 11th grade students
> just before the course selection (for next year) period began. There
> was a large increase in enrolment for the introductory course--the
> largest enrolment for any CS course in the history of the school. I
> can't say why, though next term I'll ask my intro students why they're
> taking the course, and I'll be very interested to learn how many are
> on the path to the cell phone based course.
>
> Anyway, I'm presently developing materials for the cell phone based
> course. I'll be purchasing a half dozen (or so) unlocked cell phones
> with a variety of screen sizes and features, onto which students can
> download their programs. It's important to have a variety of phones,
> because one of the challenges of working with phones is that screen
> sizes, button configurations, and controls vary widely.
>
> Anyway, if you want me to keep you abreast of the development of these
> curricular materials just drop me an e-mail, and I'll add you to the
> list. Also, if you have questions about cell phone software
> development in HS feel free to ask.

Matt can be reached at mbrenner@csteachlearn.com

Hope this helps those of you considering such a course,
- marty

--
Marty Billingsley
Department of Computer Science