Thursday, April 9, 2009

Re: Programming Class for the iPhone/iTouch

Fred Bartels wrote:
> Hi Vern,
>
> A couple of thoughts on this.
>
> 1. I think a course targeted toward Android devices is a great idea. Maybe
> you will consider offering an online course on this subject via iScoop
> (http://iscoop.ning.com) :-).

Hmmmm... that's a thought... I'll have to look at that.

> 2. I believe Apple is developing a tablet like device that will use
> essentially the same SDK as the iPhone and iTouch. When this device does
> materialize it may have a huge impact in the educational arena. It also
> might be a really fun/rewarding device for students to learn to program.

Yes, but how long have we been waiting for a tablet from Apple? ;)

The reason I suggested that Android might be more forward looking is
that HP, and others, is looking at Android as the OS for a range of
devices, from phones to netbooks, and Android is apparently the fastest
growing OS in that space at the moment. Of course, Apple is tremendously
popular and a lot of kids have them, so I can see the appeal. It's just
that Apple's closed development model really ticks me off... ;)

Cheers,
Vern

--
This time for sure!