Wednesday, October 15, 2008

teacher exchanges (was: finding overseas summer opportunities for teachers)

Mark Crotty brought up the topic of teachers teaching overseas. I'm
wondering if anyone knows of an agency or network that helps teachers
(probably at independent schools) find temporary positions within the
U.S.

I'd like to spend a year elsewhere, experiencing another school and
letting my kids get to know another part of the country. Teachers at
our school, in the past, have arranged exchanges where two teachers
swap jobs and houses for the year. The hard part is finding someone
whose teaching position is similar enough that a swap is possible --
the rest is just logistics. So, anyone know how to set about locating
such a person?

Failing that, I'll advertise here. Would anyone like to swap jobs for
a year? (Or half a year?) You'd teach middle school and high school
computer science and help with tech integration in classrooms at the
Lab Schools, a preK-12 independent school in Chicago. You'd live a
short walk from school in a condo big enough for a family with a
couple of kids. I'm looking to get out of the city, either to a
suburban or rural environment, preferably closer to either mountains
or the ocean than Chicago is. Any takers?

- marty

--
Marty Billingsley
mbilling@uchicago.edu