Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Re: Switching Email Systems

When I came in in July, we were running sendmail/dovecot with users
primarily doing POP/SMTP. After needs assessment for new email/groupware, I
did a comparison of what was out there. Having worked with Exchange, Google,
Kerio, FirstClass, Lotus Notes, postfix/dovecot in the past and pricing for
what functionality we needed, Kerio was an easy choice.

We are not doing a huge migration, but rather moving people over as we can.
We are moving people off pop/smtp to IMAPS. We have all mail routing to the
new email server, but if an internal address is not found there (i.e. The
user has not yet been migrated) then it redirects over to the legacy
sendmail/dovecot server). We have .forwards at the linux level there for
users who have been brought over so no one knows/feels the background
straddling. Many like to use a simple email client so we keep them on that
(Mail.app for example) but many also want the groupware functionality
(calendar, contacts, shared resources) so we go Outlook or Entourage for
them. We also have Blackberry users, Palm and iPhone users. Kerio's
ActiveSync is nice for iPhone and Palm users with over the it syncs.

I went down this approach to limit the trauma of a massive one-time
migration and drama or user-generated drama. As far as user email, we
brought over everything they had since we want to make their new email setup
valuable and desirable to use. Also, there was a lot of issues with POP/SMTP
in the past pulling emails off the server, so this now gives them a
consistent mail store on iPhone, via SSL web access, or via application on
multiple machines.

Jonathan
Jonathan Mergy (jmergy@lwhs.org)
Director Of Technology