Thursday, August 7, 2008

Re: Technology Professional Development

Hi Bill,
One thing we are trying to do is not call it training! We've established
some communities of learning or learning networks--small groups that discuss
how technology improves learning. We meet at lunch, after school, online,
and during summer. People choose to participate in various ways. For some
people, the "just in time learning" Sherry referred to is best. For others,
the philosophical discussion helps frame our use of technology. Always, we
talk about the goals of the teacher before we talk about any tools that
might improve instruction or learning. The only "tool" we require teachers
to learn is our online grading/attendance program.
We have also used a "ning network" to encourage online discussion of
teaching and learning. This allows people to jump in and out of a
conversation when they have time.
That being said, I will also announce a time to learn a specific tool if I
find several people want to learn. For example, this year I shared flickr,
Diigo, and Google Apps, giving people a chance to set up accounts and learn
to use them.
Susan

Susan Carter Morgan
Instructional Technology Coordinator